Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Shopping Trip with 4 Girls

Today I took the girls to Fabricland, I want to make a new purse/diaper bag. So I thought it would be okay to take everyone and since we don't often have the van, away we went right when the store opened. I gave the girls the 'talk' about being good, staying close to mom, speaking quietly, and not running around. And of course the incentive of a 'treat' when we went to the Bulk Barn afterwards.
We were walking around and the girls were being very good, I was having a hard time finding what I was looking for. So we went back and forth and around the store. As I was looking at some material a man approached me and asked if the girls were all mine. I get asked this a lot when we are out and about and of course replied with a smile and a yes! I think the man was rather bored, as he seemed to be waiting for his wife, so after the usual, "you are one busy lady" he commented on how it was very different for someone to have more then 2 children. He seemed really happy to see someone with 4 children. He mentioned how we are getting immigrants instead of having our own children. I didn't really say to much, other then that we really enjoy our girls. He continued to tell me that he has a 28 year old daughter who has no desire for children, but that he would like for her to soon so that he could enjoy his grandchildren. I was a little surprised and mentioned that I too was 28 and really enjoyed being a mother to 4. That pretty much ended the conversation and we continued on our way. I still was not finding what I wanted so we went to the other end of the store and met the same man there. He commented to me that his son is 24 and not married and has no desire to marry or have children, the poor man seemed a little sad over not having grandchildren yet! He then asked me how many siblings I have and after telling him that I had 2 older brothers and a younger sister and that that was an average size, he was rather surprised and said that he thought 2 or 3 was average. I told him that I grew up in circle of 4-6 children per family. The man continued to marvel over all the children and that was the end or our conversation.
Lately I have chosen to do most of my shopping without the girls, but it was refreshing to take them with and be able to show the world that there are still families that have more then 2 kids. I am surprised that he didn't ask why they weren't in school, but I didn't want to get into all that too. I am very use to all the comments that our family gets, I think it has more to do with having all girls and that they are so close in age, but really is 4 that many!? I know a lot of families with 4 or more it doesn't seem large or out of the ordinary. But I guess outside the church it must be!
Anyhow, I wanted to post this to remind myself to not be afraid to take my children with, it can be an encouragement to other people. And it helps teach them how to behave in public.
So that was our morning, after shopping we came home and enjoyed the beautiful sunshine, playing outside and biking!

No comments:

Post a Comment