Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Duggars

I tired to upload a picture of the famous family of now 19 children, but could not figure it out! So here is a picture of Moriah while watching the Duggars! She was really tired, that day, I don't want you to think that we find the Duggars boring! If you have been around our family in the past few months you will know how much we love the Duggars! Lately Victoria has been walking around the house repeating their family motto "buy used save the difference" over and over! The girls love to go through the list of this kids names at the begining of every episode and their very favorite thing to play is.........Jim Bob and Michelle!! They do so almost every day and anywhere. We were in WalMart a few days ago and I heard Alicia say to Victoria, "here Jim Bob you can hold the baby now". They way they decide who is who, is very simple. Whoever is wearing a skirt is Michelle and whoever wears pants is Jim Bob. Sometimes they play Josh and Anna or some of the other children, but again whoever is wearing a skirt is a girl and whoever is wearing pants is a boy, as in the Duggar family, you probably already figured it out, girls always wear skirts! Even Bryan enjoys watching this family and has commented to me how easy raising 4 children seems compared to 19! I always feel like I need to mention to people, while I am talking about the Duggars, that we in no way hope to have 19 children. We enjoy watching this godly family but are not trying to be just like them. We have picked up a few things from them, like we now do family worship in the girls room just before bed instead of at supper. This has been such a blessing for our family as it is not rushed and we really enjoy sitting together at the end of the day singing and reading God's word and then praying. I also enjoy their money saving tips and am about to try out some homemade laundry detergent!
Something that I especially enjoy about this family is that they apply the Bible to every aspect of their life, they don't pick and chose. They have lots of children becuase they know God will take care of their needs and that children are a blessing, they have no debt becuase the Bible says owe no many anything but love. They help the poor and they reach out to those in need, even the orphans. They are such a refreshing, loving family. Another tip that I picked up on from this family is the mother, Michelle,'s, gentle and quiet spirit. I read in their book that instead of raising her voice when her children were misbehaving she lowered her voice , to almost a whisper. I have been putting this into practise along with encouraging words and what a difference it has made in me and my girls. We are all happier and more joyful. It isn't always easy, but it does make loving the girls and be patient a lot easier. Another thing that sticks out about this family is that though they teach their children to behave and have selfcontrol, they also realize that kids need to be kids. They let them run around and play, Michelle doesn't mind the noise! I probably need to work on that a bit more!! And I don't have 6 boys all one year apart running around! Ofcourse this family is not perfect, but they are encouraging in the things of the Lord.
We asked our girls were we should go for our familhy vacation this year and guess what they said!? "Lets go visit the Duggars"
So if you have never heard of this family or watched their show, I would greatly recommend it as a wonderful family show! Now that we are taking a break from the internet and won't be able to watch them on youtube we are buying the seasons, so you are welcome to borrow them anytime!
If you have watched this family, what do you think of them! You know I have only had one comment, but I would love to have more, so feel free to tell me what you think!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valerie! I did try posting a comment before, but now I don't see it... strange!
    Anyways, it's nice to see the cute pictures of your girls, and hear about some of your latest inspirations for being a good wife and mother. I still haven't looked up the Duggar's show, but maybe I'll try that tonight!
    As much as I find the internet handy, I can also see how cancelling the service would be very nice in a way! It's not really feasible for M though (I think he's skeptical that I'd really last without it either... :) I have to admit I use rely on it rather heavily, not just for communication, but for homeschooling info, etc.)
    Have a good week!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete